Here are our suggestions on the 'healthier' side of Halloween candy.
- 3 Musketeers Mini: 1 Fun Size bar contains 63 calories, 2 grams of fat (1 saturated), 11 grams sugar Instead of chocolate bars filled with caramel or peanuts, choose this lighter, chocolaty snack that has far fewer calories and fat than other chocolate bars.Their fluffy texture (read: air) makes these bars feel substantial.
- York Peppermint Patty: 1 full-size bar contains 165 calories, 3 grams of fat, 27 grams sugar. This light, refreshing treat is also lower in calories and fat than heavier chocolate treats. As an added bonus, it leaves you with minty-fresh breath.
- Pumpkin Peeps: 1 marshmallow contains 16 calories, 0 fat, 3.5 grams sugar. A handful of these marshmallow treats contain very few calories, though keep in mind, they are pretty much all sugar.
- Tootsie Rolls: 1 small Tootsie Roll contains 50 calories, 1 grams fat, 10g sugar. Try this old favorite that offers a chewy, chocolate fix in moderation. But beware, at 50 calories each, the calorie count can really add up. On the plus side, they take a while to chew, which extends your sugar indulgence.
- Peanut M&Ms: 1 Fun Size Pouch contains 90 calories, 5 grams fat, 9 grams sugar. Peanut M&M's aren’t a bad choice since the peanuts have protein to pack some nutritional value. The portion-control pouch is an added advantage for weight-watching candy lovers. (Dark chocolate is even better because of the antioxidant benefits.)
- Jolly Ranchers: 3 Jolly Rancher candies contain 70 calories, 0 fat and 11 grams of sugar. Jolly Rancher candies offer lasting flavor and a low calorie count (if you don’t chew on them!). A few of these sweet treats will ward off any sweet tooth goblins.
- Charms Blow Pops: One Charms Blow Pop contains 60 calories, 0 fat, and 13 grams of sugar. Lollipops are a great way to keep your mouth busy (and not eating other high calorie foods). With only 60 calories and gum included, you can't lose.
- Dum Dum Pops: Like Charm Pops, these provide a great sweat fix with low calories. 2 pops contain 51 calories, 0 fat, and 10 grams of sugar. While they might be nice on your waist, your dentist might not be a fan!
- 100 Grand: If you just can't resist a full candy bar, grab 100 Grand. 1 bar contains 190 calories, 8 grams of fat (5 grams saturated), and 22 grams of sugar. Certainly not healthy, but one of the healthier chocolate candy bars.