Try this recipe out!
Serving Size: 6
Total time: 40 Mins
- 4 whole wheat tortillas, cut into 1-by-2-inch strips
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat and cut into 1 inch squares or strips
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 12 oz. frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably with green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/4 cup 2% milk shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Optional: 1 avocado
- Spread tortillas in a single layer on a baking sheet and put it under a broiler for several minutes until browned and crispy. Turn them over and do the same on the other side.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon. Add bell peppers, onion, garlic, salt and cumin to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, corn, pepper and lime juice; bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes more. Return the chicken and any accumulated juice to the pot and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and laddle into bowls.
- Serve topped with the cilantro, toasted tortilla strips and cheese. Optional, add sliced avocado on top.
Per serving: 357 calories; 12 g fat ( 4 g sat , 4 g mono ); 86 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 37 g protein;
4 g fiber; 775 mg sodium; 231 mg potassium.